The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Friday, July 15, 2005

College: That's So Yesterday

Sorry for the corny title, but there is a great article and discussion in the comments over at Creating Passionate Users:

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/07/does_college_ma.html

Personally I think that the value of College is not in the education, but in the exposure to the world you get. I went to Claremont Mckenna College, and, despite it being a small school that is mostly affluent waspy types, it was still a great means of exposing myself to people and ideas (and the occasional alcoholic beverage).

I studies economics there because it was the closest thing I could fine to a major in entrepreneurism or business. Of course I don't use my education hardly at all in my daily life. I am a programmer now, almost completely self-taught (took two courses in college), and even my entrepreneurial adventures do not benefit much from the abstract economics I learned.

Still I also studied a number of things outside of my major and was exposed to a diversity of ideas that I will likely never see again in such a confined and convenient place. Of the various other things I "studied" was writing. I became a much better writer in college and have definitely benefitted from it in the real world.

It is this diversity that makes college important these days I think. The ages from 18 to 22 are not such a huge chunk of time that they should be considered "wasted" if they are spent exploring, even if most of that exploration takes place on a social playing field. In fact the friends that I made in College (during the most experimental time of my life) are probably the greatest reward for four years of my life and $120,000 or however much it cost.

Other points to consider that are mentioned in the comments at Creating Passionate Users:

- Having a degree helps you with job searching, getting a loan, and anything else that requires someone to make a snap-judgement on you (which happens all the time)

- Deviating from the norm at that stage in life can make things considerably more difficult

- Deviating from the norm at all can make things considerably more rewarding

- Always follow your heart. If you do, then you stand a chance to achieve a full and satisfying life. If you don't you'll never even realize what a full and satisfying life really means.

- From the article:

Lucky for her, she learned at a much earlier age that passion matters. That money is far less important than joy (and that money doesn't buy joy).

I would append on to that statement that the entrepreneur can turn joy into money far more easily then the rich person can turn money into joy.


As you can guess the jury is still out for me. In the end, were it my daughter, I would challenge her as much as possible and then give her my fullest blessing. It would probably one of the prouder moments in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home