The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Is there a place for the generalist?

I keep reading about the importance of specialization. I also recognize the value of specialization in the work-force. People hire for a specialty, generally valuing other skills (like communication skills if you are an engineer) much less than specialty skills.

I fully recognize the value of specialization. It allows for greater depth of knowledge and is crucial in many situations. My question is, "Is generalization worthless"? Personally I don't think so. I think a generalist is the best candidate for a manager, someone who can organize other specialists around him and provide the glue for a team. The problem, and I think this is a true problem, is that we only recognize specialists and try to promote them into areas that require general knowledge. Areas that are actually hindered by a know-it-all specialist.

This is a detriment to both the generalist and the specialist. While the generalist flounders, unable to get placed in the position where he or she is most valuable, the specialist is "promoted" into a situation that eliminates the value of the specialist.

I put quotes around the word "promoted", because there is little reason to believe that the managers skills are more valuable to the organization than the specialist, yet by "promoting" the specialist into a more general position, this is precisely what we are saying.

I am a generalist. And I have no idea how to get into the position that will utilize my skills. I am certain it will happen at some point, if by no other reason than pure seniority, but I think this is a huge waste.

The problem is in the value we place on Management vs. Specialists. They are both enormously valuable to an organization. If I am a better fit to be a manager than a specialist, then I should be a manager without ever having to specialize and work my way up. Unfortunately this is not how it works, nor is it going to change because it is ingrained into our perceptions of ourselves. We are always less important than our managers or bosses.

If there is a company out there that recognizes this discrepancy please let me know, maybe I can get the job that I was meant to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home