The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Incorporating

I need to incorporate. I'm not 100% how to though, or what the pitfalls are, or what I should be prepared for come tax season, etc. If anyone who reads this blog has extensive knowledge of the ins and out of choosing a coporate structure, preparing for taxes, etc. or knows of someone who does and would be willing to give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it. I am afraid I dont have much money to afford significant legal council, but I would be willing to pay a small amount if it helped at all.

You can reach me at entreprexplorer [at] gmail.com. A million thanks in advance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jared,

It can look like a complicated subject area when you start, but i like to think of it as Legal Object Oriented Modelling to make my geek brain understand it. I wrote a overview on my blog in Legal Structures for Bootstrappers where I go over some of my views on picking legal structures. I tend to prefer LLC's, but it all depends on your needs and plans in the future.

It's often fairly cheap to use a service to incorporate. You can google it or if you wish you can click on some of the ones on the Google ads on my above page ;-). Otherwise I remember loving the NOLO books when I lived in the US.

One thing you do need to be aware of because you live in CA is that out of state corporations now do need to be registered in CA as well. This has been a real headache for many small businesses in CA with corporations in Delaware, Nevada or other better jurisdictions. You may still want to do it, you just need to check up on the relative costs. Also I am not sure what peculiarities a California INC or LLC has as I have only ever had Delaware and NH corps before.

12:27 AM  
Blogger The Entreprexplorer said...

Pelle,

Awesome! Thanks so much for the advice. I'll take a look at those resources, including your blog!.

Thanks again!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home