The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Good Post on Commenting Code Check-Ins

The Original Post

Cyrus Blather - Can anybody hear me? (http://blogs.msdn.com/cyrusn/archive/2005/03/27/402729.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage)

My Comments

IMHO I think you could really improve upon this type of commenting in check-ins. One huge improvement would be to place header information in front of every group of thoughts. It would also be beneficial to put this header information at the top of the page so as to quickly inform the user as to what they can expect to find in the subsequent comments. When someone is reading comments they are generally looking for something and the wordiness of the comments you posted would be detrimental to this process.

That said, the level of detail you provide is very informative, and could end up saving someone else (or even you) a great deal of time down the road (not that I need to point this out to you, but wanted to reiterate the point). Personally I have been inspired by your comments and will look towards improving my own comments on check-ins. Currently I am quite guilty of the "Fixes issue 32283 - Description of issue" cop-out.

Just some thoughts. Very good post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home