Google and The Blog: A Symbiotic Relationship
At some point this topic may be a great subject for a PHD Dissertation, potentially examining the cause and effect of this phenomenon. As I do not have any real insight into how it evolved, except to say it was a natural common sense driven evolution, I will just point out am obvious yet subtle symbiotic relationship: Google and The Blog.
As many already know, Google (www.google.com) is far and away the most dominant source for information on the Internet and it is growing fast, with a 278 percent leap in profits between 2003 and 2004, to $399 million in 2004 from $106 million (eWeek - http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1758554,00.asp). Their search methodology, which has also become a house-hold name, is the PageRank system. This system heavily values links, relying on the natural structure of the internet to determine which web sites are the most valuable. This results in a fairly simple result: the more people that link to your site, the higher you site's PageRank will be.
The blogging community has a similar philosophy. If I write something that is valuable then I will be linked to by others who want to point out my article. This increases my visibility within the blogging community. The value of my website is again determined by the number of links to my website.
The beauty of this system lies in its symmetry. Google is trying to provide the most relevant information to the searcher. In order to do so, they rely on the linking habits of all internet users to establish a ranking of all websites. Bloggers have formalized and promoted this system, using it to promote excellence within their community. The result is that better websites are suddenly receiving numerous links from all over the place, increasing their validity both in the Google PageRank system and in the Blogging community.
Now a searcher for Google has an increased validation of the results of a Google search. Numerous bloggers out there have determined that a specific site is better than another and relayed this information to Google by linking to the site.
A side effect of this relationship benefits the Blogger. If I am constantly producing excellent blogs that are linking to other things (producing the result described above), then I will in turn be linked to. As more and more people link to specific blog entries in my blog, the credibility of my blog goes up overall. The PageRank system sees that there are a number of links to my blog, and, through its logic, the rank of my entire blog increases. This means that I will command a high page rank even for blog entries that no one has linked to yet. If I write about a subject that someone searches for, my blog will show up high on the list regardless of the topic. This means that my blog will become an important source of information for people searching on anything I have written about. I will gain more visibility than I ever would have had from within the blogging community thanks to PageRank.
As I gain more visibility I might consider putting ads on my blog to try and generate some revenues from my excellent blog. I might turn back to Google, who is currently the leader in online advertising, to help with the placement of advertising in exchange for a cut of the money.
So, by writing good blogs that link to other things I have enforced the validity of Google's PageRanking system. As my blog gains popularity because I am writing good blog entries my PageRank goes up, further increasing Google's searching validity and my own exposure. When I put ads on my website both Google and I benefit from the ad revenues that my site has generated.
Fascinating relationship that doesn't simply come full circle, but actually wraps around itself a number of times.
As many already know, Google (www.google.com) is far and away the most dominant source for information on the Internet and it is growing fast, with a 278 percent leap in profits between 2003 and 2004, to $399 million in 2004 from $106 million (eWeek - http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1758554,00.asp). Their search methodology, which has also become a house-hold name, is the PageRank system. This system heavily values links, relying on the natural structure of the internet to determine which web sites are the most valuable. This results in a fairly simple result: the more people that link to your site, the higher you site's PageRank will be.
The blogging community has a similar philosophy. If I write something that is valuable then I will be linked to by others who want to point out my article. This increases my visibility within the blogging community. The value of my website is again determined by the number of links to my website.
The beauty of this system lies in its symmetry. Google is trying to provide the most relevant information to the searcher. In order to do so, they rely on the linking habits of all internet users to establish a ranking of all websites. Bloggers have formalized and promoted this system, using it to promote excellence within their community. The result is that better websites are suddenly receiving numerous links from all over the place, increasing their validity both in the Google PageRank system and in the Blogging community.
Now a searcher for Google has an increased validation of the results of a Google search. Numerous bloggers out there have determined that a specific site is better than another and relayed this information to Google by linking to the site.
A side effect of this relationship benefits the Blogger. If I am constantly producing excellent blogs that are linking to other things (producing the result described above), then I will in turn be linked to. As more and more people link to specific blog entries in my blog, the credibility of my blog goes up overall. The PageRank system sees that there are a number of links to my blog, and, through its logic, the rank of my entire blog increases. This means that I will command a high page rank even for blog entries that no one has linked to yet. If I write about a subject that someone searches for, my blog will show up high on the list regardless of the topic. This means that my blog will become an important source of information for people searching on anything I have written about. I will gain more visibility than I ever would have had from within the blogging community thanks to PageRank.
As I gain more visibility I might consider putting ads on my blog to try and generate some revenues from my excellent blog. I might turn back to Google, who is currently the leader in online advertising, to help with the placement of advertising in exchange for a cut of the money.
So, by writing good blogs that link to other things I have enforced the validity of Google's PageRanking system. As my blog gains popularity because I am writing good blog entries my PageRank goes up, further increasing Google's searching validity and my own exposure. When I put ads on my website both Google and I benefit from the ad revenues that my site has generated.
Fascinating relationship that doesn't simply come full circle, but actually wraps around itself a number of times.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home