Noosh
Thought I would provide a little more background information. I am currently working at a small company of about 40 or so people called Noosh. I am a java developer on the Application Team there, responsible for writing quite a bit of code. I also am heavily active in the design process, and write quite a few functional requirements.
I joined Noosh a couple of years ago despite only having taking 2 college Computer Science courses. I was able to convince the ex-Director of Engineering, an alumnus of my school, that I could help with some Excel reporting that they needed to be done.
It was a two week project that I jumped on because I had been out of school for 6 months living in Palo Alto, paying rent with no income what-so-ever. The last 3 months of that unemployment time were probably the worst of my life as I knew no one in Palo Alto and was unable to find employment. Of course I was making things harder on myself by insisting that I get involved in a technology company when I had no background to justify a position in such a company.
Well I was able to prove myself during those two weeks and they decided to retain me for 3 more months. During that time I was able to convince them to give me an opportunity to write some code. The rest is history.
Unfortunately the company is still struggling to gain profitability. Even when it does gain profitability it is not exactly going to turn into a huge growth company all of a sudden. So I am certainly a little frustrated with the situation.
That said, I am still learning, which is great. I am constantly challenged to improve my coding abilities. I also have enough flexibility that I can assume more responsibilities (even if I have to fight tooth and nail for them) if I want to. I am also comfortable here, which means I am able to accomplish things very quickly (I have a good routine), so I can focus more effort on pet projects...
Overall I am certainly not desperate to jump ship, but recognize that a number of things could certainly be improved upon. I am a little hesitant to leave though as I am more and more tempted to try and go often on my own. I don't want to go to another company and then leave in only a few months to go out on my own. Then again I am probably kidding myself if I really think I'll be able to start something on my own at any point in the near future...
I joined Noosh a couple of years ago despite only having taking 2 college Computer Science courses. I was able to convince the ex-Director of Engineering, an alumnus of my school, that I could help with some Excel reporting that they needed to be done.
It was a two week project that I jumped on because I had been out of school for 6 months living in Palo Alto, paying rent with no income what-so-ever. The last 3 months of that unemployment time were probably the worst of my life as I knew no one in Palo Alto and was unable to find employment. Of course I was making things harder on myself by insisting that I get involved in a technology company when I had no background to justify a position in such a company.
Well I was able to prove myself during those two weeks and they decided to retain me for 3 more months. During that time I was able to convince them to give me an opportunity to write some code. The rest is history.
Unfortunately the company is still struggling to gain profitability. Even when it does gain profitability it is not exactly going to turn into a huge growth company all of a sudden. So I am certainly a little frustrated with the situation.
That said, I am still learning, which is great. I am constantly challenged to improve my coding abilities. I also have enough flexibility that I can assume more responsibilities (even if I have to fight tooth and nail for them) if I want to. I am also comfortable here, which means I am able to accomplish things very quickly (I have a good routine), so I can focus more effort on pet projects...
Overall I am certainly not desperate to jump ship, but recognize that a number of things could certainly be improved upon. I am a little hesitant to leave though as I am more and more tempted to try and go often on my own. I don't want to go to another company and then leave in only a few months to go out on my own. Then again I am probably kidding myself if I really think I'll be able to start something on my own at any point in the near future...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home