Sloppy Mode
I've been developing CommunityWalk and Wedding Mapper for over two years now. That's a long time to be building something essentially by yourself. I wrestle with burn-out quite often. I've recently been working on strategies to work around burn-out.
Right now I am feeling pretty burnt out, but I am excited about the functionality I am working on. I think it could really kick Wedding Mapper in to gear. Unfortunately this excitement is not quite enough to get me really going on this development work.
So I've put myself into sloppy mode. This doesn't mean I am trying to write bad code or take shortcuts, just that I am not trying my hardest to make it perfect. In fact I am just trying to get stuff done. It doesn't have to be correct, it just has to be something.
Obviously this is less efficient than if I were able to attack this functionality in a cleaner fashion, but it's a hell of a lot better than not doing anything. I know that if I can get this functionality done in some raw, sloppy manner, then it will be that much easier for me to go back and iterate on it and refine it because the vision will become that much more clear.
Right now I am feeling pretty burnt out, but I am excited about the functionality I am working on. I think it could really kick Wedding Mapper in to gear. Unfortunately this excitement is not quite enough to get me really going on this development work.
So I've put myself into sloppy mode. This doesn't mean I am trying to write bad code or take shortcuts, just that I am not trying my hardest to make it perfect. In fact I am just trying to get stuff done. It doesn't have to be correct, it just has to be something.
Obviously this is less efficient than if I were able to attack this functionality in a cleaner fashion, but it's a hell of a lot better than not doing anything. I know that if I can get this functionality done in some raw, sloppy manner, then it will be that much easier for me to go back and iterate on it and refine it because the vision will become that much more clear.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home