The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Technology for Technology's Sake

Ok, it's been a while since I posted to this blog. I really just haven't had much to say. Today, though, I ran into two examples of one of my pet peeves, technology for technology's sake, that I have to vent a bit.

I went to the new San Francisco mall and near every door is your typical mall map, only this one didn't actually show a map. It had a giant touch screen that made you search for a business before being able to figure out where it is in the mall. It has got to be one of the most ridiculous and frustrating things I have ever seen. There are three main problems with it:

1) Only one person can use it at a time. This fact alone makes it a terrible idea.
2) It's complicated. I watched three people try to figure out where they were trying to go and fail.
3) It's not necessary! Honestly, showing a simple map with a legend is really all that is needed.

The second incident happened while calling Blue Cross customer service. They had one of those voice recognition systems. I don't know who the moron is that decided to pay more money for such a system over the standard touch-tone system, but he should be fired. These systems barely work and they are far more annoying than the already-annoying touch-tone systems. Maybe there is a reason for them that I am not considering, but as far as I can tell right now, it is just technology for technology's sake. If that is the case then it is, in my humble opinion, completely retarded.

Okay, I'm done venting now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post! You have said it very well. Keep going.

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home