A Definite Problem
I am beginning to notice a pattern in my writing. It seems like each stage of this project (which I can not call a company because I am now incorporated as a standard C Corporation out of Delaware after some good legal advice and much research - thanks Pele) has one challenge that I seem to focus on. Interestingly enough it has yet to be anything to do with the business or competition of anything strategic. Each challenge seems to be more personal in nature. I've mentioned my current challenge before in a previous post but it is proving to be more significant than I thought.
Now that I am working on CommunityWalk in a more full-time manner I am actually finding it to be a great challenge to stop working on it. I have been flirting with burn out for a few weeks now and recognize that working on the company non-stop is not going to be beneficial in the long run. For one, it is difficult to maintain perspective on the long-term strategic vision if you are constantly in the trenches. More importantly, though, I just have an inherent belief that working less is better. You are more productive, with more energy, and more ideas if you take some time off and completely remove yourself from the concerns of the company on occasion.
The problem is that I am so used to working on CommunityWalk when ever I have a chance, that now I can't seem to not do that and it is working against my less-work beliefs and shoving me directly into the burn out zone. Then, when I finally do manage to walk away for a bit, it is almost impossible to truly remove myself and reap the benefits of completely refreshing myself. I actually feel guilty when I am not working on it.
All of this may seem a little trite and I am sure I will adjust over time, but, for the time being, it is a significant concern for me. I don't want to let any feelings of burn out lead me into a hasty decision that I will regret down the road. Maintaining my energy and enthusiasm for CommunityWalk is absolutely essential for it to succeed. If I don't figure out how to portion my time appropriately and remove the guilt from those times I am not working, then I will not be able to maintain the enthusiasm I have and the company will suffer.
Now that I am working on CommunityWalk in a more full-time manner I am actually finding it to be a great challenge to stop working on it. I have been flirting with burn out for a few weeks now and recognize that working on the company non-stop is not going to be beneficial in the long run. For one, it is difficult to maintain perspective on the long-term strategic vision if you are constantly in the trenches. More importantly, though, I just have an inherent belief that working less is better. You are more productive, with more energy, and more ideas if you take some time off and completely remove yourself from the concerns of the company on occasion.
The problem is that I am so used to working on CommunityWalk when ever I have a chance, that now I can't seem to not do that and it is working against my less-work beliefs and shoving me directly into the burn out zone. Then, when I finally do manage to walk away for a bit, it is almost impossible to truly remove myself and reap the benefits of completely refreshing myself. I actually feel guilty when I am not working on it.
All of this may seem a little trite and I am sure I will adjust over time, but, for the time being, it is a significant concern for me. I don't want to let any feelings of burn out lead me into a hasty decision that I will regret down the road. Maintaining my energy and enthusiasm for CommunityWalk is absolutely essential for it to succeed. If I don't figure out how to portion my time appropriately and remove the guilt from those times I am not working, then I will not be able to maintain the enthusiasm I have and the company will suffer.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home