The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Friday, November 18, 2005

What To Write... How Much I Work

So I've been struggling recently to figure out what I can write about. It has gotten to the point that I almost signed off on the blog this morning. It's simply becoming too difficult to be confident I am not sticking my foot in my mouth, violating an NDA, etc.

Then I got a comment today that read:


...

P.S. Because I am an entrepreneur as well and would like to know, how many hours do you dedicate daily to your business?


So I started thinking that maybe there is some value in answering questions like this. The problem is that I am not sure what questions to answer. So if anyone has a question please let me know. I think being an entrepreneur can be an awfully lonely experience, and I don't think there is much written about the day to day experiences an entrepreneur goes through, so this type of information could be pretty useful. The general goal of this journal was to provide other entrepreneurs a chance to gain some insight into what it's like to start something and I think this fits in well.

So to answer Jakub's question:

While I was working full time I think I averaged about 30 hours a week on CommunityWalk. I would work at my full-time job from about 6:30 in the morning until 6:30 at night (I had a long commute), then I would come home and work from 7 until about 11 or so during the week. Luckily I've got a great girlfriend who doesn't mind cooking for me, so that helps me stay focused. On the weekends I would usually get up around 7:30 or 8 and work until noon. Then I might do something useful (errands) or fun (go hit balls or something), come back and work for another couple hours and then maybe go out with some friends. If you do the math this adds up to a bit more than 30, but I wasn't quite that disciplined so I figure a conservative estimate is about 30. Add that onto a full time job, though and you get between 80 and 100 hours a week.

Now that I can dedicate some more time to CommunityWalk I expect that total number to drop a bit. I don't think it's healthy or productive to work on the same thing day in and day out, so I am hoping to cut that time back to 70 hours a week or so. The problem is that it is almost an obsession and I end up spending most of my waking hours on it. It usually takes someone asking me to come out to get me away from it. Lately I've also been meeting with a lot of people about the project, though, so that's helped break up the day a bit.

Hope that helps. If anyone else has any ideas or questions that I could write about let me know. I've got a couple myself, but it would be great to get some more ideas coming in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home