The Entreprexplorer's Journal

A journal of one (currently young) man's journey into entrepreneurism. Including entrepreneurial thoughts, ideas, tribulations, experiences, etc. See where it goes...


  Subscribe to this blog!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, California, United States

I am an entrepreneur based in San Francisco, CA. My current entrepenurial project is CommunityWalk.com.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Working Hours. A Revisionist Post

A couple of days ago I wrote a post about how many hours I spend on CommunityWalk. I've been thinking about this a bit more because I want to make sure I am giving an accurate description of my experience. I'm not absolutely sure that 30 hours a week was totally accurate. It might have been more like 25 and it fluctuated a great deal.

Back then it was easy for me to figure out when to work, I just worked when ever I could. I had natural break points built into my routine that prevented me from burning out in any way. Even though I was probably involved in a work related activity for close to 100 hours a week, many of those hours were spent in the car or in a meeting, providing a way to easily break up the day. In that sense I think it was a healthy approach.

Now, though, I find myself faced with a completely new challenge. How do I know when not to work? How do I know how much to work?

In my last post I said that I hoped to cut the work load down to 70 hours. Thinking about this now I realize that I have no idea if that is accurate. I am so used to just working whenever I am home that now I am not sure how to not work and avoid burn out. I personally believe that it is very important to distance yourself from a project fairly frequently to ensure that you don't get sick of it and can remain creative about it (I Think Best In The Shower). Of course you have to balance this with the need to get stuff done on the project. I really don't know how to find the happy medium. I guess this is going to be the next big challenge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home